Watercraft Insurance

How to protect yourself and your family if you own a Pleasure Craft!

What you'll discover in this report:

  • Surprising secrets about what is and what is NOT covered in a standard Homeowner's Policy for your boat
  • Clear up the common confusion about the different kinds of "watercraft" insurance...most owners don't know this!
  • How to save money on boat insurance...
  • A special kind of insurance you may need to have...depending on what you do with your boat...
  • Insurance jargon demystified! What are you really getting? Find out here...

They are called pleasure boats or pleasure crafts, but, let's face it, sometimes they're a "pain." They are expensive, to say the least -- and potential danger comes with the pleasure.

They are, after your home(s) and maybe your car(s), possibly your most valued assets. You can choose to own and operate a personal watercraft without insurance (although some marinas and yacht clubs won't let you dock your craft unless you have coverage). However, that's not a very smart choice.

* Note. If you have a homeowner's insurance policy you may have some coverage for your watercraft but it is very, very minimal. A typical homeowners policy may pay up to $1,000 or $1500 to repair damage to your boat, but -- guess what? -- that damage has to occur while the boat is at your home. This is not exactly the kind of coverage you need on a watercraft. In addition, there may be some liability coverage, but it depends on the size of your engine --- normally only outboard engines of 25 hp or less.

You could gamble and not buy insurance for your watercraft, but that's a big gamble. You're risking not only losing or severely damaging the boat in an accident, but possibly your other assets if your boat causes damage and/or injuries to other boats and/or boaters.

Lots of Options...How to Choose

First, you need to know that there are three types of "pleasure boats/crafts".

  • Anything less than 16 feet long is usually called "personal watercraft" by most insurers. This includes Jet Skis and Waverunners.
  • "Boats" are 16 feet to 25 feet, 11 inches.
  • Anything at least 26 feet long is classified as a "yacht."

Your policy should include coverage for injuries to you and your passengers, the craft itself, liability (for damage and injuries to other crafts and people) and theft.  You can also get coverage for the trailer(s) you use to transport the watercraft.

Call 1-877-267-8100 and let the Northwest Insurance professionals get you covered while having fun in the sun.